Volunteering at St. Francis House
St. Francis House is deeply grateful for the dedicated volunteers who give of their time and talent every day. Whether they work in the kitchen, the clothing room, or they tutor guests, our volunteers help ensure the quality of our services for Boston's poor and homeless. Last year, more than 200 volunteers donated 23,000 hours of service. If you would like to join them in helping the less fortunate, read through our listings below and fill out a volunteer application.
- Food Services: Assist with meal preparation, service, and clean-up in our kitchen and dining room. Shifts are available daily from 6:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Fresh Threads Clothing Program: Assist with guests' clothing appointments. Shifts available Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Guest Services: Volunteer alongside counselors at our Day Center Hospitality Desk, helping to deliver basic services to our guests. Or design and offer workshops for our Healthy Lifestyles series. Examples include nutrition info sessions, job search workshops, communication skills classes, etc.
- Moving Ahead Program: Assist instructors in our job- and life-skills program. Conduct mock interviews or interviewing workshops. Assist in a MAP classroom (with computer work, writing, resumes, etc.). Or help us to create opportunities for MAP alumni. Shifts are available Monday-Wednesday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Thursday-Friday from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Next Step Housing: Lead tenants in activity groups (cooking classes, photography, book or film discussion groups, meditation/spiritual groups, money management, etc.). Schedule can be negotiated, but mainly in the evenings.
- Women’s Center: Lead activity groups or spend time mentoring or visiting with the women we serve.
- Housing Resource Center: Assist housing staff in advocacy. Shifts available Monday-Thursday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Saturdays and Sundays:
Maximum group size: 3 people for breakfast; 5 people for lunch. Choose between 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. (serve breakfast) or 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. (prepare, serve, and clean up lunch).
Maximum group size: 5 people. Choose between 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. (serve breakfast) or 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. (prepare and serve lunch).