Volunteering at St. Francis House
St. Francis House is deeply grateful for the dedicated volunteers who give of their time and talent every day. Last year, more than 1,100 volunteers donated 20,000 hours of service. To read about a few of our volunteers, click here.
Whether they work in the kitchen, distribute clothing, or assist with mock interviews, our volunteers help ensure the quality of our services for Boston's poor and homeless. If you would like to join them in helping the less fortunate, fill out a volunteer application.
Current Volunteers: Click here to log-in to
- Food Services: Assist with meal preparation, service, and clean-up in our kitchen and dining room. Three shifts are available daily: 7-9am, 9-11am, and 11am-1:30pm.
- Fresh Threads Clothing Program: Assist with guests' clothing appointments, or help to sort donations and restock our shelves. Shifts available Monday-Friday, 8:45am to 11am.
- Guest Services: Volunteer alongside counselors at our Day Center Hospitality Desk, helping to deliver basic services to our guests.
- Moving Ahead Program: Conduct mock interviews with students helping them practice and build the confidence they need to secure employment.
- Women’s Center: Lead activity groups or spend time mentoring or visiting with the women we serve.
- Housing Resource Center: Assist housing staff in advocacy, with hours Monday-Thursday, 9am to 3pm.
Interested in bringing a group to volunteer? Complete a Group Visit Request form.
Saturdays and Sundays:
Maximum group size: 3 volunteers for breakfast; 5 volunteers for lunch. Choose between 7 to 9 (serve breakfast) or 9 to 1:30 (prepare, serve, and clean up lunch).
Maximum group size: 7 volunteers.Choose between: 7 to 9 (serve breakfast), 8:45 to 11am (clothing distribution), 9 to 11am (prepare lunch), or 11am to 1:30pm (serve lunch).
Groups are welcome to stay for multiple shifts (ex prepare and serve lunch from 9am - 1:30pm).